Friday, August 9, 2013

What Are Your Communication Protocols?

Posted by Atsumori. Category:

Communication holds a prominent role in organizations today.  I'm sure that communication has always played a prominent role, but today the boundless communication available prompts attention and response.

What are your personal communication protocols?  What are the protocols of the organization you work for?  What are the general protocols in society?

Personal Protocols
  • Response: I make a point to readily respond to all professional and personal correspondence. Hence, If I didn't respond to your email, letter, or phone call, please know it was an oversight and please send your request, note, or question again.
  • Frequency: I've made a deliberate choice to share news rather than hold back. If I believe a question, piece of information, or response can positively impact an initiative, individual, or decision, I will communicate that information.
  • Text/Voice: It is my intent to be transparent, respectful, honest, and straightforward.  This takes practice particularly in situations of disagreement and debate. 
  • Expectation: I expect response, but I often don't get a response. I imagine that individuals and organizations have differing protocols with regard to response. I also expect parents, students, colleagues, and friends to communicate when they have a question or need--early communication often impacts situations in positive ways.  
  • Respect: As long as communication is respectful, I accept that. If communication is disrespectful, I will first try to figure out in person if it is a misunderstanding. If the disrespect continues, I may have to discontinue online exchange.
Organization Protocols?
What are the communication protocols that lead your organization.  I know that my son's high school had a 24- or 48- hour response protocol.  I can't remember because it was never an issue since educators and leaders always responded quickly to questions and requests.  Also, some organizations create communication ladders so the employees know who to email to first when they have a question or idea. I would be interested in seeing examples of organizational protocols for communication.

General Protocols
What are the general protocols of communication?  Do these protocols differ from region to region and country to country?  As I think about this, I imagine some of the general protocols we hold include the following:
  • Respect
  • Honesty
  • Streamlined and to the point.
  • Inclusive rather than exclusive--letting all those involved know.
  • Transparent--I'm sure there's lots of variety with regard to this attribute. 
Are there general protocols for communication?  If so, what would you add to the list above?

I hope that communication professionals and students will lead me to articles, books, and information about this topic--a topic that impacts individuals, organizations, and society greatly. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

◄ Posting Baru Posting Lama ►
 

Followers

Alexa