Sunday, July 28, 2013

Challenge Avoidance

Posted by Atsumori. Category:

As I continue to work towards meeting a tough challenge, I am cognizant of the importance routine and context play. I continue to use this challenge process to reflect on my role as an educator who coaches many children towards meeting challenging goals.

So to summarize the learning so far.

First, it's essential to clearly define the goal and "success criteria."  What is it that you're attempting to conquer, learn, create, or do?

Next, it's essential to create a supportive context with the right coaches, environment, schedule, and other supports.

After that, it is important to be mindful of the journey, reflecting along the way.

Hence, as I meet the next turn in achieving my goal, I find that I am very good at "challenge avoidance," by filling my time with things I'm good at, and avoiding the challenging tasks that will take to goal success.

In what ways do our students avoid challenge, and how can we make them aware of "challenge avoidance" in their behavior and action.  The first step is recognition of what you do that helps you to avoid challenges, and then the next step is to meet those avoidance steps with new behaviors.

It will be interesting to hear how students respond to this coaching in the fall.  In the meantime, I need to make the goal schedule so avoidance doesn't creep in.  Let's see what happens.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

◄ Posting Baru Posting Lama ►
 

Followers

Alexa