Thursday, July 25, 2013

UClass: A "Twitter" for Lesson Plans

Posted by Atsumori. Category:

If you follow my blog, you know that I'm so grateful for Twitter as that platform offers me a quick exchange of wonderful ideas that have impacted my teaching with strength. When I have a teaching question, I tweet it out, and within a day, or seconds sometimes, I have multiple answers.

Some of the best tools, projects, and strategies I use in the classroom have come from Twitter. Projects like Creativity Days, Digital Stories, and Adaptations, and tools like Sum Dog, Kahn, and Animated Math Models. I also have a wonderful PLN (professional learning network) of terrific educators on Twitter that I can rely on for leads, links, and ideas.

About a month ago, Zak Ringlestein contacted me to discuss UClass*. At first I thought the platform looked a lot like others I had seen recently. Then, similar to what I do with all platforms that I'm exploring, I played around with it. The more I played with UClass, the more I liked it and noticed many attributes that make UClass a platform I suggest you contribute to and use for your own classroom work.

The features that keep me coming back to UClass are the following:
  • Ease of use. I can quickly search for a lesson that matches my students' grade level, content, and/or standards.
  • Idea Generating.  Similar to Twitter, I can quickly look at UClass's lesson stream and identify ideas for my own class.  For example, I will be teaching a persuasive writing unit in the fall.  I have been wondering about topics and yesterday on UClass I noticed a lesson about vending machines--a topic that would work for my class and school.  
  • Teacher-Centered.  This site is focused on teaching needs.  It is a versatile resource for teachers who are planning multiple lessons a day.
  • Evidence and Planning Books.  If you choose a lesson from UClass, you can simply print and staple the lesson plan with a few comments for your evaluation file or plan book.
  • Connections.  I imagine that as my use of UClass grows, I will begin to develop a PLN of lesson creators that I can turn to with reliability when it comes to designing my curriculum program. 
  • Lesson File: As I assign lessons, I essentially create a file on UClass of terrific lessons--a file I will return to for share and use. 
UClass is gaining steam and refining their tools. That's always a great time for educators to jump in and try it out as your work will affect this process, and then the site will benefit you. Also from a teaching/learning viewpoint, it's exciting to watch a tech venue grow--that's how I feel while working with educators across the world on Twitter and other venues. I've learned a lot being part of the growth process.

Finally, UClass is now looking for educators to join them in their development process.  This is an opportunity I'm applying for, and many of you may be interested in as well.  This is the note I received yesterday:  

UClass has 50 paid positions open - 

make money for writing lesson plans!

Dear UClass Teachers,

We want to pay 50 dedicated, innovative teachers like you to make 
great lesson plans to kick off the school year on UClass.  
We are looking for:
  • 38 Master Lesson Planners who will create/upload 25 high quality lesson plans for $250. 
  • 12 Teacher Board Chairs who will vet content, create lesson plans and advise UClass founders for $350 plus a $100 stipend per month for the length of the school year.

All will also receive ten free lesson plan downloads on UClass plus $1 for every 
time their lessons get used. Please fill out THIS FORM to be entered into the 
applicant pool. Hurry, applications close August 9th at 11:59pm PST! 
Happy uniting,
The UClass Team

As educators we spend countless hours designing, implementing, assessing and revising lessons and learning experiences to respond to our students' needs. This platform offers us a chance to share our work with each other and also make a bit of pocket change. Let me know what you think. I look forward to reading your lessons and links on UClass as I plan for school year 2013-2014.



Note: As I move forward with teaching and learning, I am often asked to preview blog posts, innovations, initiatives, and ideas. I will support posts, innovations, initiatives, and ideas that I feel have the potential to positively impact our collective ability as educators to teach children well. Typically I support platforms that are efficient, streamlined, targeted and lead to engaging, meaningful, and productive learning experiences. 


Note: *UClass is paying me a small stipend to participate in their start-up. 





0 comments:

Post a Comment

◄ Posting Baru Posting Lama ►
 

Followers

Alexa