Sunday, September 8, 2013

A Year of Detail: New Standards

Posted by Atsumori. Category:

Rather than scoff at new standards, I'm going to dive in and meet each standard with detail.  Similar to the way I analyzed the Massachusetts' elements for exemplary teaching, I'm going to attack the standards with scrutiny and lesson planning.

My goal is to teach all the fourth grade standards in meaningful, relevant, engaging ways.  To do that I'll embed standards into units of learning.

For example, the class embarked on the culture unit starting with The Gold Threaded dress.  I used a few lessons that directly responded to the new standards related to character.  Yet I didn't apply a planning strategy that leads to scrutiny and detail.  Hence, as I begin the next culture related read aloud, Letters from Rifka, I'll start by looking over the standards list and matching focus lessons with specific standards. I'll share this work as I continue.

I chose Letters from Rifka because I could tell from students' discussion that they wanted to learn more about the topic of culture and immigration--they were curious and interested, and there was lots to learn.  Also this book and the last is helping me to set the stage for our grade-level culture project.

I'll use the following process in this regard:

  • Use unit design plan as a guide. 
  • Review standards and choose the ones that best fit this unit and students' current needs and interests.
  • Create lessons using the lesson plan guide
  • Create or revise docs, folders, or websites for each unit so that I can easily access the information as well as assess and revise as needed. 
This work will also serve my work with UClass--a start-up I'm working for a few hours each week for a small stipend.  

As the year moves along I'll adapt and assess this process--a process of great detail, but hopefully a process that will lead to greater impact with regard to student teaching, engagement, and response. Let's see. 



0 comments:

Post a Comment

◄ Posting Baru Posting Lama ►
 

Followers

Alexa