Monday, September 2, 2013

Teach For Success: Weekly Routine 2013-2014

Posted by Atsumori. Category:

Today's learning opportunities are endless, hence the need for a thoughtful weekly schedule that makes the time for you to accomplish your teaching/learning priorities.

As I look forward to school year 2013-2014 which begins in earnest tomorrow on the students' first day, I want to focus on this pattern of student response and professional learning.

The Weekly Routine

Teaching/Coaching
The weekly schedule has been crafted to teach all required curriculum leaving time for student interests and needs.  I will follow this routine with most time during the work week devoted to time-on-task with students. 

Student Response
We all know as learners that feedback and response matter.  When our coaches, colleagues, educators, and others encourage us and lead us forward with care, we generally profit from that attention and time.  A top priority of my practice is providing that response and care for students each week.

I'll start the year with a number of assessments so that I understand each child's learning profile well.  I'll respond to each of those assessments with targeted, goal-oriented comments.  I'll also have a one-to-one conference with each child by the end of September review interests, challenges, and strengths and set goals. At the start of October I'll create a weekly student response schedule that matches students' collective goals, needs, interests, and strengths. 

Collegial Collaboration
I'll set aside a time each week to meet with the special educator and speech therapist weekly. Each Monday our grade-level team will meet during a common planning time.  Our larger team, including coaches, interventionists, leaders, and support personnel will meet at our PLC each Thursday afternoon. 

Committee Work
The committees I signed up for have yet to set their schedules. Once the schedules are set I'll add those to the schedule.

Family Meetings
I will provide family meetings upon request.  I have also scheduled a few days in October to meet with all families.  That will be a good time because all initial assessments and goals will be complete. 

Curriculum Planning
I've created a planning template that matches this year's program requirements and goals.  I generally try to stay one week ahead with all planning and prep work.  I started that when I a somewhat unpredictable schedule as a mother of young children, and have kept up that routine since. I generally share the curriculum plan with all collaborating educators a week ahead too.

Communication
In an effort to streamline communication as well as to communicate well, I have decided to send out the weekly newsletter to the Team 15 (our class) learning community (families, students, colleagues, leaders) each Thursday.  I chose Thursday because it gives parents the weekend to review the news, and students a chance to plan ahead with regard to school requirements.  The weekly newsletter will recap the learning of the past week, relay events to come, and describe specific learning events.  I hope to have a students write as much of the newsletter as possible, and I will post all newsletters on both our class website and a specific Newsletter website for easy reference.

Reflection
I'll continue to use my blog writing as a point of reflection and planning.  

Professional Learning
I want my professional learning to keep me up to date with new, research-based strategies, tools, and events.  I also want my professional learning to help me develop my practice with strength and depth.  Weekly professional learning events will include the Tuesday #edchat and Saturday morning #satchat.  I've made plans to attend MassCUE, NCTE, and Educon 2.6 this year for that vigorous one-to-one learning and share.  Several learning projects are on the agenda including NBPTS recertification, working with UClass to write lessons for all 3-4 common core standards, working with the State and local union on the educator evaluation system, and working with my local system on implementing a number of new curriculum initiatives to match new standards. 




0 comments:

Post a Comment

◄ Posting Baru Posting Lama ►
 

Followers

Alexa