Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Not Heard: Minecraft?

Posted by Atsumori. Category:

Like a little anchor at my feet is the fact that we were recently denied the use of Minecraft for one small section of the week, each week.

Why does that frustrate me so?

It frustrates me because I've seen what children have created with Minecraft.  I've watched the way they've turned our academic standards and projects into 3-d adventures to the delight and learning of many. I've witnessed the magnificent concentration, collaboration, and investment that Minecraft brings, and the fact that there are no behavioral issues or need to redirect when Minecraft is the learning tool.

Minecraft specifically does not affect my personal life at all, in fact the inclusion of it into our program would add considerable hours for me of extra exploration and learning, but I'm willing to do it to forward our program into 21st century skills.

What makes this anchor at my foot more weighty is the thought in the back of my mind that this platform was rejected because I was moving into another department's area of control and management, and that I overstepped my system boundaries as a classroom teacher asking for a tech tool to engage my students.  I'm sorry that tech is still considered a department or notion apart from the every day learning and teaching we do--learning and teaching that integrates tech seamlessly all the time.

While I'm not asking again, the denied request sits like a small anchor denying a step forward into more 3-d, real-world learning.  I'm hoping that someone else will take up the charge and help to move us forward.  Typically community members and families have a stronger voice than teachers--so perhaps someone will advocate for the new venues necessary to keep us moving in a direction towards engaging, student-centered, new world platforms and education.  One step for today, and one step for tomorrow.

Thanks for your consideration.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

◄ Posting Baru Posting Lama ►
 

Followers

Alexa