Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Student Google Doc Writing Thread

Posted by Atsumori. Category:

Like many teachers, I've been trying to find an efficient, inclusive way to respond to student writing. This year, I'm trying the use of a Google doc writing thread, and I'm liking it.

Essentially, I create a Google doc each week with a different writing focus.  On the doc I create a table with space for student writing and teacher comments.  Students add their stories, paragraphs, essays, and ideas during the week. I check in each night and comment on each child's efforts.

There are many aspects of this assignment that I like including the following:
  • The thread is public, but not too public.  It is shared by our class community and a few more.  Hence children have a good size audience for their work.
  • Children may easily read each other's work, and get ideas from one another.
  • Families may read their child's work and other children's work to have a good idea about fourth grade writing skills, challenges, and strengths.
  • I get to check in on and respond to student writing each week in a timely way. 
  • I have the chance to assess individual student writing as well as the class writing weekly, and use that information to inform follow-up writing focus lessons.
  • The assignments are generally light hearted and enjoyable to read.
  • The assignment provides good practice for the Common Core expectation that all fourth graders can type one page of text with skill. 
Take a look at the example below.  This might be an approach you'd like to try.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

◄ Posting Baru Posting Lama ►
 

Followers

Alexa